Calling all student artists at the University of Michigan! December is HIV/AIDS Awareness Month and the UMMA Student Engagement Council would like to showcase student artwork surrounding the topic.
Call for Art in Response: Day With(out) Art Film Screening
Written by the UMMA Student Blog Team
December 1 marks World AIDS Day, as well as Day With(out) Art 2020, a yearly event presented by Visual AIDS marking the global impact of HIV/AIDS.
Visual AIDS is a New York-based non-profit that utilizes art to fight AIDS by provoking dialogue, supporting HIV+ artists, and preserving a legacy, because AIDS is not over.
This year, Visual AIDS is presenting a series of short films titled TRANSMISSIONS, which will premiere on November 30 at 6pm EST as part of a special online screening event hosted by Visual AIDS. A live Q&A with the commissioned artists will follow the screening. Beginning December 1, the video program will be available to view online at visualaids.org/transmissions.
Then, consider submitting your own art to the SEC blog! You can relate your work to the topic of HIV/AIDS awareness in any way you see fit, but some prompts that you can use:
- How does HIV/AIDS awareness and other public health issues affect various groups differently?
- How does the HIV/AIDS crisis continue internationally today or relate to other current public health issues?
- How has viewing the films in the TRANSMISSIONS series changed my personal view of HIV/AIDS?
- How do people reconcile with the stigma surrounding HIV/AIDS diagnoses?
Your work can be in any artistic medium — painting, poetry, dance, collage, music, film, creative writing, sculpture, photography and more are all welcome.
How to submit:
- Put your work together in an accessible digital file format — .pdf, .jpg, .png, .mov, .mp4, a website or Google Drive link.
- Send your submissions to email@example.com with your name and the title of the piece.
- (Optional) Include a short description of your piece as it relates to HIV/AIDS awareness or the films of TRANSMISSIONS series.
You can submit at any time beforehand, but please have all submissions in by Thursday, December 10th, at 5 pm EST.
Any questions? Ask firstname.lastname@example.org!