Skip to main content

Vase

Mary Chase Stratton; Pewabic Pottery

Artwork Details

Vase
1909-1983
Mary Chase Stratton; Pewabic Pottery
stoneware
21 5/16 x 8 5/16 in. (54 x 21 cm);21 11/16 x 8 5/16 x 8 5/16 in. (55 x 21 x 21 cm);x 26 9/16 in. x 67.4 cm
Gift of Miss Ann Cook
1983/1.151

On Display

Not currently on display

Description

Subject Matter:

The first quarter of this century saw the rise of a number of art potteries in the United States, a facet of the international Arts and Crafts Movement. Founded in Detroit in 1907 by Mary Chase Stratton (employing her married name of Perry at a later date) and Horace James Calkins, the Pewabic Pottery concentrated on hand-built vessels whose shapes were largely derived from traditional Asian ceramics. Under Marry Chase Stratton’s artistic direction, these refined forms were combined with a rich variety of iridescent glazes that became the Pottery’s hallmark.
Most of the works in the Museum of Art’s Pewabic collection come from Margaret Watson Parker, a Detroit-area collector and associate of Charles Lang Freer. Mrs. Parker’s bequest to the University of Michigan included numerous Pewabic works selected personally for her by Mary Chase Stratton for their quality and beauty. Several additional pieces of Pewabic ware came to the University from the collection of H.O. Havemeyer.

Physical Description:

Ceramic vessel with long narrow neck and no foot, lip or rim covered in an iridescent green glaze that covers most of vessel with exposed white-ish clay body at the bottom

Usage Rights:

If you are interested in using an image for a publication, please visit https://umma.umich.edu/request-image/ for more information and to fill out the online Image Rights and Reproductions Request Form.